Old Historical State, County and City Maps of Wyoming
Maps of Wyoming
Maps can be very useful in conducting Wyoming research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Several kinds of maps are available which can help in locating land, ghost towns, or farms. Most historical maps of Wyoming were published in atlases.
Several types of maps are useful for genealogists. Tracing the history of early families in Wyoming is much easier if the researcher has an understanding of Wyoming gazetteers and maps.
The Territory of Wyoming, originally was part of Dakota Territory, was organized on July 25, 1868 and existed until July 10, 1890, when it was admitted to the Union as the State of Wyoming. Cheyenne was the territorial capital.
Wyoming was created as a the 44th state on July 10, 1890. Wyoming has 23 Counties.
States bordering Wyoming are Colorado, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota, Utah and Idaho. The 10 largest cities in Wyoming are Cheyenne, Casper, Laramie, Gillette, Rock Springs, Sheridan, Green River, Evanston, Riverton and Cody.
Any Historical Wyoming Map can indicate who owned specific property in the state and which towns held the county seat at the time. This information is a valuable starting point for your research pointing you to the right location of records.
Wyoming County Map Formations 1848-1965
This Interactive Map of Wyoming Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from 1848 to 1965.
Wyoming contains 23 counties. In 1867 the first Wyoming counties were formed. The first 2 counties created were Sweetwater County and Laramie County. The last county to be formed was Teton County on February 15, 1921.
Wyoming Map Abbreviations
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Wyoming
This Historical Wyoming Map Collection are from original copies so you can see Wyoming as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago.
Some Wyoming map years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the Wyoming researcher.
Wyoming Map Links
- 1874 National Atlas Map of the Wyoming Territory - Outline hand color map. Shows townships, distances along railroads, etc. Entered according to Act of Congress in the year 1874 by Asher & Adams.
Asher & Adams' new commercial, topographical, and statistical atlas and gazetteer of the United States: with maps showing the Dominion of Canada, Europe and the World .
- 1876 National Atlas Map of Territory of Wyoming - Compiled from the official records of the General Land Office and other sources. Color map. Includes references. Relief shown by hachures.
Department of the Interior, General Land Office. Geographical and political atlas of the states and territories of the United States of America in which the Public Land Surveys are now in operation.
- 1880 Map of the Wyoming Territory. - Shows counties, Indian reservations, townships, settlements, rivers, etc.
- 1883 World Atlas Map of the Wyoming Territory - Maps in full or outline color. Relief, when shown, is in hachures. From Cram's Unrivaled Family Atlas of the World. By George Franklin Cram
- 1893 Map of Wyoming - Outline hand color map. Shows state and county boundaries, cities and towns. Includes population and area square miles. From the The Columbian World's Fair atlas : containing complete illustrations of the World's Fair grounds and buildings, general illustrations of the public buildings, parks, monuments, street scenes, etc. of Chicago, and maps of every state and territory of the United States and Canada, and general maps of the world. By George F. Cram & Co.
- 1897 World Atlas Map of Wyoming -
Rand, McNally & Co.'s indexed atlas of the world containing large scale maps of every country and civil division upon the face of the globe, together with historical, descriptive, and statistical matter relative to each ... Accompanied by a new and original compilation forming a ready reference index.
Wyoming County Map of Road and Highway's
The Wyoming D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Wyoming County Map available at this time.