|MT State Facts|
|Territory: May 26, 1864|
|Statehood: Nov 8, 1889|
|Borders: MD, NJ and PA|
|MT Land Ownership Maps|
|MT Maps & Atlases|
|MT Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|MT Military Databases|
|MT Record Collections|
|MT Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Montana are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Montana maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Montana maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 00th century to the present and include:
- Montana Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Montana Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Montana Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Montana timeline of county boundaries changes
- Montana Military maps
- Montana Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Montana
- Bird’s eye views of Montana cities and towns
Historical Maps of Montana are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Montana Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Montana Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Montana maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
The U.S. Geological Survey topographical maps for Montana can be ordered through the USGS website or the Montana office at 3162 Bozeman Ave., Helena, MT 59601.
The libraries in the state designated by the U.S. Geological Survey as map depository libraries are the Montana Historical Society; Montana State University–Billings; Montana State University–Bozeman; Montana Tech at the University of Montana, Butte; Montana State University–Northern, Havre; Montana State Library, Helena; and the University of Montana, Missoula.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Montana
This Historical Montana Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Montana were published in atlases and spans over 000 years of growth for the state.
Some Montana maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Montana researcher.
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Montana Territory
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and part of Montana
Map of Montana County Formations 1848-1950
This Interactive Map of Montana Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Montana territory in 1848 to 1950.
Montana County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Montana D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2017 county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
In addition to roads and boundaries, these maps include rural communities, churches, and cemeteries. These Montana maps are Free to downloade are in PDF format.
External Montana Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Montana (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Montana Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Montana Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Montana Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Old Maps of Montana (old-maps.com)
- Historical Montana State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Montana (raremaps.com)
- Montana Map Books (amazon.com)