|NM State Facts|
|Territory: Sep 9, 1850|
|Statehood: Jan 6, 1912|
|Borders: AZ, CO, OK, TX and UT|
|NM Land Ownership Maps|
|NM Maps & Atlases|
|NM Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|NM Military Databases|
|NM Record Collections|
|NM Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of New Mexico are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old New Mexico maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of New Mexico maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- New Mexico Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- New Mexico Road, Highway and railroad maps
- New Mexico Maps showing the state’s geological features
- New Mexico timeline of county boundaries changes
- New Mexico Military maps
- New Mexico Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of New Mexico
- Bird’s eye views of New Mexico cities and towns
Historical Maps of New Mexico are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. New Mexico Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
New Mexico Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old New Mexico maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of New Mexico
This Historical New Mexico Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of New Mexico were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some New Mexico maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the New Mexico researcher.
Colton’s 1856 State Map of New Mexico and Utah Territories
1866 State Map of Arizona and New Mexico Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Arizona and New Mexico
Map of New Mexico County Formations 1845-1981
This Interactive Map of New Mexico Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the New Mexico territory in 1845 to 1981.
New Mexico County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The New Mexico D.O.T. Highway Department does not have New Mexico County Maps available at this time.
External New Mexico Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of New Mexico (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- New Mexico Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress New Mexico Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of New Mexico (old-maps.com)
- New Mexico Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical New Mexico State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of New Mexico (raremaps.com)
- New Mexico Map Books (amazon.com)