|AZ State Facts|
|Territory: 1861 (CSA)|
|Territory: Feb 24, 1863|
|Statehood: Feb 14, 1912|
|Borders: CA, CO, NV, NM, UT|
|AZ Land Ownership Maps|
|AZ Maps & Atlases|
|AZ Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|AZ Military Databases|
|AZ Record Collections|
|AZ Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Arizona are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Arizona maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Arizona maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Arizona Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Arizona Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Arizona Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Arizona timeline of county boundaries changes
- Arizona Military maps
- Arizona Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Arizona
- Bird’s eye views of Arizona cities and towns
Historical Maps of Arizona are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Arizona Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Arizona Map Collections
The Arizona State Archives contains about 32,000 Arizona maps, dating from the 1860s to the present. The Map Collection focuses primarily on Arizona from the territorial period 1864 to the present. Some of the collection includes:
- Commercial and government maps of the territory and state
- County and city maps dating from the 1890s
- Historic topographic maps
- Sanborn Fire Insurance maps on microfilm
- Maps showing irrigation and urban development of the Salt River Valley
- U.S. forest maps from 1909 to the present
- Land grant maps from the 1880s
- Land ownership maps of Maricopa County (1903 – 1929)
- Railroad right-of-way maps and highway maps.
- Selected pre-1864 maps of the U.S. Southwest and Mexico
- 17th and 18th century maps of North America.
- Aerial photography for the Phoenix area is available from 1958 to 1997
- Plat maps for Maricopa County (Books 1 – 99)
- Plat maps for Pinal County (Books 1 – 21)
The collection also houses maps distributed through the Federal Depository Library Program and serves as the Regional Federal map collection. The Library of Congress has selected historic Arizona maps including
- Hartley’s Map of Arizona 1865.
- Territory of Arizona 1876
- Territory of Arizona – Stage Lines, etc. 1876
- Territory of Arizona 1887
- Territory of Arizona – Railroads & Counties 1887
- Maps of Grand Canyon National Park
- Bird’s Eye View of Phoenix circa 1885
- Tombstone, Arizona Territory Sanborn Fire Insurance Map 1886
The United States Geological Survey has a large map library in Flagstaff that is open for research and is located at the USGS Library.
The Arizona Highway Department has prepared a series of county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Arizona
This Historical Arizona Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Arizona were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some Arizona maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Arizona researcher.
Map of Arizona County Formations 1852-1983
This Interactive Map of Arizona Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Arizona territory in 1852 to 1983.
Arizona County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Arizona Department of Transportation has prepared a series of county road maps free online. These Arizona road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Arizona Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Arizona (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Arizona Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Arizona Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Arizona (old-maps.com)
- Arizona Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Arizona State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Arizona (raremaps.com)
- Arizona Map Books (amazon.com)