|AR State Facts|
|Territory: Mar 2, 1819|
|Statehood: Jun 15, 1836|
|Borders: LA, MS, TN, MO, OK and TX|
|AR Land Ownership Maps|
|AR Maps & Atlases|
|AR Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|AR Military Databases|
|AR Record Collections|
|AR Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Arkansas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Arkansas maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Arkansas maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Arkansas Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Arkansas Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Arkansas Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Arkansas timeline of county boundaries changes
- Arkansas Military maps
- Arkansas Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Arkansas
- Bird’s eye views of Arkansas cities and towns
Historical Maps of Arkansas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Arkansas Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Arkansas Map Collections
The Arkansas State Highway Commission, in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, prepared a complete set of Arkansas county maps entitled General Highway and Transportation Maps of Counties of Arkansas (n.p., n.d.).
The Arkansas State Highway and Transportation Department has old Arkansas map reproductions, as well as, copies of county maps available.The University of Arkansas at Fayetteville also maintains a large collection of maps and atlases.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture, prepared a complete set of Arkansas county maps entitled General Highway and Transportation Maps of Counties of Arkansas. These detailed maps of Arkansas show such landmarks as roads, cemeteries, towns, railroads, watercourses, dwellings, farms, churches, schools, businesses, factory or industrial plants, and sawmills for each county in the state.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Arkansas
This Historical Arkansas Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Arkansas were published in atlases and spans over 190 years of growth for the state.
Some Arkansas maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Arkansas researcher.
Jeffery’s 1776 Map of the Course of the Mississippi River from the Balise to Fort Chartres
Carey’s 1814 Map of Missouri Territory formally Louisiana
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Statistical and Historical State Map of Arkansas
Finley’s 1827 State Map of Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma
Tanner’s 1836 State Map of Arkansas
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Arkansas
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Arkansas
1866 State Map of Arkansas Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana
Map of Arkansas County Formations 1813-1925
This Interactive Map of Arkansas Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Arkansas territory in 1813 to 1925.
Arkansas County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Arkansas Department of Transportation has prepared a series of county road maps free online. These Arkansas road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
Arkansas City Road Maps
External Arkansas Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Arkansas (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Arkansas Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Arkansas Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Arkansas (old-maps.com)
- Arkansas Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Arkansas State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Arkansas (raremaps.com)
- Arkansas Map Books (amazon.com)