|IL State Facts|
|Territory: Mar 1, 1809|
|Statehood: Dec 3, 1818|
|Borders: IN, KY, MO, IA and WI|
|IL Land Ownership Maps|
|IL Maps & Atlases|
|IL Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|IL Military Databases|
|IL Record Collections|
|IL Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Illinois are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Illinois maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Illinois maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 18th century to the present and include:
- Illinois Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Illinois Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Illinois Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Illinois timeline of county boundaries changes
- Illinois Military maps
- Illinois Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Illinois
- Bird’s eye views of Illinois cities and towns
Historical Maps of Illinois are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Illinois Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Illinois Map Collections
The Illinois State Historical Library has county plat books and atlases available for the years of around 1870 to 1930. Those Illinois maps show townships and ownership of various lands at the times that the maps were drawn. However, plat books must be examined on-site.
The University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana, Chicago Historical Society, and the Illinois State Library also have large Illinois map collections available. The Illinois State Library can also provide a list of its land map and atlas holdings. The oldest available Illinois Sanborn map is from 1884.
The following offices have free highway maps for Illinois available:
- Illinois Secretary of State
- Illinois Department of Communications
- Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Illinois
This Historical Illinois Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Illinois were published in atlases and spans over 225 years of growth for the state.
Some Illinois maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Illinois researchers.
Jeffery’s 1776 Map of the Course of the Mississippi River from the Balise to Fort Chartres
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Historical and Statistical State Map of Illinois
Finley’s 1827 State Map of the States of Illinois, Ohio & Indiana, and Part of the Michigan Territory, Compiled from the Latest Authorities
Tanner’s 1836 State Map of Illinois With Its Proposed Canals, Roads & Distances from place to place, along the Stage & Steam Boat Routes.
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Illinois
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Illinois with vicinity of Chicago
Colton’s 1856 City Map of Chicago IL with City of St Louis MO
1866 State Map of Illinois Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Illinois with Vicinity of Springfield
Mitchell’s 1880 City Map of Chicago
Map of Illinois County Formations 1790-1869
This Interactive Map of Illinois Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Illinois territory in 1790 to 1869.
Illinois County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Illinois D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2010 county road maps free online. These Illinois road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
Illinois County Road Maps
Illinois Township Road Maps
These Township Maps emphasize the display of the road network on a regional basis without regard to specific city and village boundaries.
External Illinois Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Illinois (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Illinois Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Illinois Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Illinois (old-maps.com)
- Illinois Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Illinois State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Illinois (raremaps.com)
- Illinois Map Books (amazon.com)