|CA State Facts|
|Republic: Jun–Jul 1846|
|Statehood: September 9, 1850|
|Borders: OR, NV and AZ|
|CA Land Ownership Maps|
|CA Maps & Atlases|
|CA Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|CA Military Databases|
|CA Record Collections|
|CA Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of California are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old California maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of California maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- California Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- California Road, Highway and railroad maps
- California Maps showing the state’s geological features
- California Nautical charts
- California timeline of county boundaries changes
- California Military maps
- California Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of California
- Bird’s eye views of California cities and towns
Historical Maps of California are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. California Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
California Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old California maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
California Map Collections
Several books are helpful in researching the evolution of California.
- Historical Atlas of California, available in many libraries, provides a basic map reference at different points in California’s history.
- 1500 California Place Names: Their Origins and Meaning, is an excellent resource for named places and the history behind them.
The United States Geological Survey (USGS) website offers for sale topographical maps of California.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of California
This Historical California Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of California were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some California maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the California researcher.
Morse’s 1845 Map of California
Colton’s 1856 Map of California
1866 Sketch of Public Surveys Map of California and Nevada by the Department of Interior Land Office
1874 Map of Northern California and Nevada
1874 Map of Southern California and Nevada
Mitchell’s 1880 Map of California
1900 Map of California, USA from Spofford’s Atlas of the World
Cram’s 1901 Map of Northern California
Cram’s 1901 Map of Southern California
Map of California County Formations 1850-1925
This Interactive Map of California Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the California territory in 1850 to 1925.
California County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The California D.O.T. Highway Department does not have California County Maps available at this time.
External California Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of California (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- California Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress California Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of California (old-maps.com)
- California Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical California State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of California (raremaps.com)
- California Map Books (amazon.com)