|OR State Facts|
|Territory: Aug 14, 1848|
|Statehood: Feb 14, 1859|
|Borders: CA, ID, NV and WA|
|OR Land Ownership Maps|
|OR Maps & Atlases|
|OR Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|OR Military Databases|
|OR Record Collections|
|OR Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Oregon are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Oregon maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Oregon maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Oregon Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Oregon Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Oregon Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Oregon Nautical charts
- Oregon timeline of county boundaries changes
- Oregon Military maps
- Oregon Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Oregon
- Bird’s eye views of Oregon cities and towns
Historical Maps of Oregon are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Oregon Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
One helpful map by Ralph N. Preston is Historical Oregon: Overland Stage Routes, Old Military Roads, Indian Battle Grounds, Old Forts, Old Gold Mines. That map collection begins with a trail map from Lewis and Clark’s 1804 expedition and includes multiple other maps, including maps listing old Indian battle grounds, mining areas, forts, military roads, and stage routes.
The Oregon Department of Transportation also has great county and city maps on file.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Oregon
This Historical Oregon Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Oregon were published in atlases and spans over 160 years of growth for the state.
Some Oregon maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Oregon researcher.
1866 State Map of Oregon Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Johnson’s 1870 State Map of Oregon and Washington
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and part of Montana
Cram’s 1901 State Map of Oregon
Map of Oregon County Formations 1843-1975
This Interactive Map of Oregon Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Oregon territory in 1843 to 1975.
Oregon County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Oregon D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2016 county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Oregon Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Oregon (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Oregon Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Oregon Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Oregon (old-maps.com)
- Oregon Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Oregon State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Oregon (raremaps.com)
- Oregon Map Books (amazon.com)