|MA State Facts
|Statehood: Dec 7, 1787
|Borders: CT, NH, NY, RI and VT
|MA Land Ownership Maps
|MA Maps & Atlases
|MA Birth, Marriage & Deaths
|MA Military Databases
|MA Record Collections
|MA Historical Newspapers
|Create a Free Family Tree
Maps of Massachusetts are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Massachusetts maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Massachusetts maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 17th century to the present and include:
- Massachusetts Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Massachusetts Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Massachusetts Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Massachusetts Nautical charts
- Massachusetts timeline of county boundaries changes
- Massachusetts Military maps
- Massachusetts Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Massachusetts
- Bird’s eye views of Massachusetts cities and towns
Historical Maps of Massachusetts are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Massachusetts Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
There is a series of 18th century Massachusetts maps from 1794 to 1795 covering several towns in Massachusetts. It was published by the Massachusetts Archives. There is also another map series that was done in 1831 originally. Copies of it are on file in many different libraries.
Many Massachusetts towns also have their own collections of town maps from different times, which can be used to track dwellings and land ownership over a certain time period.
F.W. Beers atlases were commonly made depicting maps of New England states in the 1870s. Most large libraries have copies of those maps. Those maps often showed churches, residences and owners, roads, cemeteries, and schools.
The Massachusetts Archives is home to several collections of maps showing early land distribution in the state, as well as depicting town lots. Multiple town offices have excellent printed maps on file as well. So does the New England Historic Genealogical Society.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Massachusetts
This Historical Massachusetts Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Massachusetts were published in atlases and spans over 350 years of growth for the state.
Some Massachusetts maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Massachusetts researcher.
Jeffery’s 1776 State County and Township Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island – Northern Section
Jeffery’s 1776 State Map of New England containing the Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Connecticut and Rhode Island
1776 State County and Township Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Rhode Island – – Southern Section
Carey’s 1795 State Map of Massachusetts, Compiled from the best Authorities
Sotzmann’s 1796 State Map of Massachusetts Shows counties and minor civil subdivisions
Arrowsmith’s 1804 State Map of Massachusetts
Carey’s 1814 State Map of Massachusetts
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Historical and Statistical State Map of Massachusetts
Finley’s 1827 State Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island
Tanner’s 1836 State Map of Massachusetts and Rhode Island
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Massachusetts and Rhode Island
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Massachusetts and Rhode Island with Vicinity of Boston
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Massachusetts, Connecticut and Rhode Island
Map of Massachusetts County Formations 1683-1947
This Interactive Map of Massachusetts Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Massachusetts territory in 1683 to 1947.
powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.
Massachusetts County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Massachusetts D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Massachusetts County Maps available at this time.
External Massachusetts Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Massachusetts (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Massachusetts Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Massachusetts Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Massachusetts (old-maps.com)
- Massachusetts Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Massachusetts State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Massachusetts (raremaps.com)
- Massachusetts Map Books (amazon.com)