|RI State Facts|
|Statehood: May 29, 1790|
|Borders: CT and MA|
|RI Land Ownership Maps|
|RI Maps & Atlases|
|RI Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|RI Military Databases|
|RI Record Collections|
|RI Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Rhode Island are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Rhode Island maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Rhode Island maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 00th century to the present and include:
- Rhode Island Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Rhode Island Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Rhode Island Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Rhode Island Nautical charts
- Rhode Island timeline of county boundaries changes
- Rhode Island Military maps
- Rhode Island Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Rhode Island
- Bird’s eye views of Rhode Island cities and towns
Historical Maps of Rhode Island are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Rhode Island Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Rhode Island Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Rhode Island maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Rhode Island
This Historical Rhode Island Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Rhode Island were published in atlases and spans over 000 years of growth for the state.
Some Rhode Island maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Rhode Island researcher.
Jeffery’s 1776 State Map of New England containing the Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Conecticut and Rhode Island
Jeffery’s 1776 Map of the most Inhabited part of New England, containing the Provinces of Massachusetts Bay and New Hampshire, with the Colonies of Connecticut And Rhode Island, Divided into Counties and Townships – Southern section
Carey’s 1795 State Map of Rhode Island compiled from the Surveys and Observations of Caleb Harris
Arrowsmith’s 1804 State Map of Rhode Island
Carey’s 1814 State Map of Rhode Island
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Historical and Statistical State Map of Rhode Island
Finley’s 1827 State Map of Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut
Tanner’s 1836 State Map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Rhode Island and Massachusetts with Vicinity of Boston
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Rhode Island, Connecticut and Massachusetts
Map of Rhode Island County Formations 1643-1963
This Interactive Map of Rhode Island Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Rhode Island territory in 1643 to 1963.
Rhode Island County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Rhode Island D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Rhode Island County Maps available at this time.
External Rhode Island Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Rhode Island (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Rhode Island Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Rhode Island Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Rhode Island (old-maps.com)
- Rhode Island Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Rhode Island State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Rhode Island (raremaps.com)
- Rhode Island Map Books (amazon.com)