|FL State Facts|
|Territory: March 30, 1821|
|Statehood: March 3, 1845|
|Borders: GA and AL|
|FL Land Ownership Maps|
|FL Maps & Atlases|
|U.S. Birth, Marriage & Death Records|
|Search Military Databases|
|Search Data Collections|
|Search Historical Newspapers|
|Search Ancestor Records|
Maps of Florida are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Florida maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Florida maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 00th century to the present and include:
- Florida Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Florida Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Florida Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Florida Nautical charts
- Florida timeline of county boundaries changes
- Florida Military maps
- Florida Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Florida
- Bird’s eye views of Florida cities and towns
Historical Maps of Florida are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Florida Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Florida Map Collections
One of the biggest Caribbean and Florida map collections available are in Gainesville at the P. K. Yonge Library of Florida History, which is part of the University of Florida Libraries. Many of the Florida maps are either prints or originals.
Many images of Florida maps from 1564 to 1926 can also be viewed online, which includes the Sanborn maps for the state. Many early to modern maps of Florida can also be found in Florida Historical Society Library.
Maps from all the following sources are included in the PALMM World Map Collection:
- Florida Department of Environmental Protection
- Florida International University
- Florida State University
- University of Florida
- University of Miami
- University of North Florida
- University of South Florida
The Sanborn maps were made between the late 1800s and the early 1900s. Urban areas may also have other fire insurance maps available. The University of Florida Libraries Map Department has a set of original Sanborn map duplicate copies can be found at the University of Florida Libraries Map Department, where the Library of Congress transferred them.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Florida
This Historical Florida Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Florida were published in atlases and spans over 000 years of growth for the state.
Some Florida maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Florida researcher.
Map of Florida County Formations 1821-1997
This Interactive Map of Florida Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Florida territory in 1821 to 1997.
Florida County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Florida Department of Transportation has prepared a series of 2013 county road maps free online. These Florida road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Florida Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Florida (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Florida Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Florida Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Florida (old-maps.com)
- Florida Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Florida State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Florida (raremaps.com)
- Florida Map Books (amazon.com)