|UT State Facts|
|Territory: Sep 9, 1850|
|Statehood: Jan 4, 1896|
|Borders: AZ, CO, ID, NV, NM and WY|
|UT Land Ownership Maps|
|UT Maps & Atlases|
|UT Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|UT Military Databases|
|UT Record Collections|
|UT Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Utah are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Utah maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Utah maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Utah Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Utah Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Utah Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Utah timeline of county boundaries changes
- Utah Military maps
- Utah Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Utah
- Bird’s eye views of Utah cities and towns
Historical Maps of Utah are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Utah Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Utah Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Utah maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
The Utah Department of Transportation provides detailed county maps. These maps contain more detailed information about roads and boundaries, rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Utah
This Historical Utah Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Utah were published in atlases and spans over 175 years of growth for the state.
Some Utah maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Utah researcher.
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Utah and New Mexico Territories
1857 Map of Utah Territory
1866 State Map of Utah Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Utah and Nevada
Map of Utah County Formations 1849-1960
This Interactive Map of Utah Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Utah territory in 1849 to 1960.
Utah County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Utah Department of Transportation has prepared a series of county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Utah Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Utah (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Utah Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Utah Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Utah (old-maps.com)
- Utah Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Utah State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Utah (raremaps.com)
- Utah Map Books (amazon.com)