|IN State Facts|
|Territory: May 7, 1800|
|Statehood: Dec 11, 1816|
|Borders: MI, IL, OH and KY|
|IN Land Ownership Maps|
|IN Maps & Atlases|
|IN Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|IN Military Databases|
|IN Record Collections|
|IN Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Indiana are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Indiana maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Indiana maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 18th century to the present and include:
- Indiana Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Indiana Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Indiana Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Indiana timeline of county boundaries changes
- Indiana Military maps
- Indiana Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Indiana
- Bird’s eye views of Indiana cities and towns
Historical Maps of Indiana are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Indiana Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Indiana Map Collections
Each county’s surveyor’s office holds county maps. Contemporary maps of cities, townships, and counties are available, as well as historical maps for each county.
The Indiana Department of Conservation can provide geological and topographical survey maps of the area.
Sanborn fire insurance maps from 1883 and years after are also available. Some of them can be found at the Indiana State Library. A more complete collection can be found in Bloomington at the Indiana University Geography and Map Library.
The Indiana State Library holds plat maps and atlases from 1875 to present for the various counties. Many of those maps list schools, railroads, cemeteries, churches, main roads, and other major landmarks.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Indiana
This Historical Indiana Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Indiana were published in atlases and spans over 200 years of growth for the state.
Some Indiana maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Indiana researcher.
Map of Indiana County Formations 1758-1932
This Interactive Map of Indiana Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Indiana territory in 1758 to 1932.
Indiana County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Indiana D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Indiana County Maps available at this time.
External Indiana Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Indiana (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Indiana Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Indiana Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Indiana (old-maps.com)
- Indiana Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Indiana State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Indiana (raremaps.com)
- Indiana Map Books (amazon.com)