Old Historical State, County and City Maps of Idaho
Maps of Idaho
Most historical maps of Idaho were published in atlases. Within the atlases are historical maps, illustrations, and histories many of which contain family names ideal for genealogical research.
Our collection of old historical Idaho maps span over 150 years of growth.
The United States Geological Survey maps are available for Idaho. Major libraries in Idaho have been designated by the U.S. Geological Survey as map depository libraries. They include Boise State University in Boise, Albertsons Library; University of Idaho and Idaho State University.
The various maps detailing the history of Idaho are valuable for genealogical research as they show overland stage routes, old military roads, Indian battlegrounds, old forts, old mining areas, and early towns.
The Idaho Territory was organized on March 3, 1863 and the State of Idaho was created as the 43rd state on July 3, 1890.
Map of Idaho County Formations 1848-1965
This Interactive Map of Idaho Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of Idaho in 1848-1965. Idaho contains 44 counties.
Idaho Map Abbreviations
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Idaho
This Historical Idaho Map Collection are from original copies so you can see Idaho as our ancestors saw them over a hundred years ago.
Some Idaho map years (not all) have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines and other features useful to the Idaho researcher.
External Idaho Map Links
- 1864 Map of Idaho, Oregon and Washington – by counties, with heavy outlines around the states. Shows towns, rivers, Indian reservations, roads, railroads, and forts clearly indicated and named. Includes the proposed route and line of the Pacific railroad.
- 1874 Map of Idaho and Western Montana – This map shows the the Western portion of Idaho and Montana. Counties of: Lodge, Lewis & Clark, Missoula, Deer, Jefferson, Meagher, Gallatin, Madison, Beaver Head, Lemhi, Idaho, Boise, Owyhee, Oneida, Alturas, Nez Perces, and Indian Reservations.
- 1876 Idaho Map –
- 1882 Idaho Map –
- 1883 Idaho Map
- 1897 Idaho Map – This map shows waterways including Bruneau River, Owyhee River, Snake River, Salmon River, Keotenaai River, and other smaller tributaries. Rail lines include the Union Pacific RR, Northern Pacific RR, and Great Northern RR. The following towns are featured in this map:
Helena, Missoula, Silver City, Hot Spring, Cleft, Nameko, Mountain Home, Caldwell, Middleton, Idaho City, Moscow, Lewiston, Coeur d’Alene, Plummer, Salmon River, Hailey, Blackfoot, St Anthony, and others.
- 1903 Idaho Map – Map shows early twentieth century Idaho counties, Native American reservations, township grid, railroads, proposed canal system, lava beds, cities, and towns. Includes index, explanation, number key to railroads.
- 1927 Map of Idaho – Shows administrative divisions, roads, rivers, etc.
Idaho County Map of Road and Highway’s
The Idaho D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Idaho County Map available at this time.