|TX State Facts|
|Rebublic: Mar 2, 1836|
|Statehood: Dec 29, 1845|
|Borders: AR, LA, NM, OK and Mexico|
|TX Land Ownership Maps|
|TX Maps & Atlases|
|TX Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|TX Military Databases|
|TX Record Collections|
|TX Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Texas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Texas maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Texas maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Texas Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Texas Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Texas Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Texas Nautical charts
- Texas timeline of county boundaries changes
- Texas Military maps
- Texas Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Texas
- Bird’s eye views of Texas cities and towns
Historical Maps of Texas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Texas Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Many Texas maps are available at various repositories, such as the GLO. The Texas State Library’s Archives Division holds a particularly large map collection. That collection includes Texas map compilations, photocopies, and original documents. Some of them are road and highway maps, while others are land survey maps, state maps, or county maps.
Coastal maps, town plats, nautical maps, street maps, and bird’s eye maps are also included, and the collection is indexed according to date and map location. Maps in the collection that were deposited at the Texas State Library before 1965. The Map Collection of the Texas State Archives.
The University of Texas libraries in both El Paso and Austin also hold useful state map collections, as does Southern Methodist University DeGrolyer Library. The University of Texas Libraries provides highly detailed Texas Map of D.O.T. County Road and Highway’s online.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Texas
This Historical Texas Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Texas were published in atlases and spans over 200 years of growth for the state.
Some Texas maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Texas researcher.
Remember, Texas was at one-time part of Mexico before becoming a state.
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Historical, And Statistical Atlas Map Of Mexico
1823 State Map of Texas Territory showing Mexico and California
Finley’s 1827 Map of Mexico including Texas and Upper California
1836 State Map of Texas, with the Contiguous American
1837 State Map of Texas on the eve of Independence
Austin’s 1837 State Map of Texas
1838-39 State Map of Texas or Republic of Texas
1841 Map of Texas Compiled from Surveys Recorded in the Land Office of Texas
1844 State Map of Texas
Morse’s 1845 Map of the Indian Territory, northern Texas and New Mexico showing the great western prairies
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Texas
1846 Map of Texas To Illustrate Olney’s School Geography
1853 State Map of Texas with insets of Sabine Lake and Galveston area
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Texas with two inset maps Plan of Galveston Bay From the U.S. Coast Survey and Plan of Sabine Lake
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Texas also Showing portions of the adjoining states and territories with Plan of Galveston and vicinity
Map of Texas County Formations 1834 to 1931
This Interactive Map of Texas Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Texas territory in 1834 to 1931.
Texas County Maps of Road and Highway’s
External Texas Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Texas (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Texas Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Texas Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Texas (old-maps.com)
- Texas Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Texas State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Texas (raremaps.com)
- Texas Maps – The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (lib.utexas.edu)
- A gazetteer of Texas (search.ancestry.com)
- Texas General Land Office Map Collection (glo.texas.gov)
- Map Collection of the Texas State Archives (tsl.state.tx.us)
- University of Texas at Austin and El Paso Map Collection (libraries.uta.edu)
- Southern Methodist University DeGrolyer Library Map Collection (smu.edu)
- Texas Map Books (amazon.com)