|IA State Facts|
|Territory: Jun 12, 1838|
|Statehood: Dec 28, 1846|
|Borders: IL, NE, MN, SD, MO and WI|
|IA Land Ownership Maps|
|IA Maps & Atlases|
|IA Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|IA Military Databases|
|IA Record Collections|
|IA Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Iowa are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Iowa maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Iowa maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 18th century to the present and include:
- Iowa Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Iowa Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Iowa Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Iowa timeline of county boundaries changes
- Iowa Military maps
- Iowa Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Iowa
- Bird’s eye views of Iowa cities and towns
Historical Maps of Iowa are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Iowa Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Iowa Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Iowa maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
Iowa Map Collections
All fire insurance maps (Sanborn and others) have been compiled into one microfilm collection that is at both branches of the State Historical Society research library, the University of Iowa, and the Library of Congress.
Of the approximately 4,000 Iowa maps included in both locations of the State Historical Society of Iowa library, the Des Moines branch has original plat maps created by the territorial land surveyors.
Current county maps for Iowa can be ordered from the Iowa Department of Transportation. The maps are fairly easy to read, divided by townships and sections, and show highways, railroads, cities and towns, and rivers and streams.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Iowa
This Historical Iowa Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Iowa were published in atlases and spans over 200 years of growth for the state.
Some Iowa maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Iowa researcher.
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Iowa and Wisconsin
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Iowa
1866 State Map of Iowa Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Iowa and Missouri
Map of Iowa County Formations 1816-1872
This Interactive Map of Iowa Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Iowa territory in 1816 to 1872.
Iowa County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Iowa D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2016 county road maps free online. These Iowa road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Iowa Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Iowa (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Iowa Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Iowa Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Iowa (old-maps.com)
- Iowa Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Iowa State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Iowa (raremaps.com)
- Iowa Map Books (amazon.com)