|CO State Facts|
|Territory: Feb 28, 1861|
|Statehood: Aug 1, 1876|
|Borders: AZ, KS, NE, NM, OK, UT and WY|
|CO Land Ownership Maps|
|CO Maps & Atlases|
|CO Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|CO Military Databases|
|CO Record Collections|
|CO Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Colorado are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Colorado maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Colorado maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- Colorado Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Colorado Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Colorado Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Colorado timeline of county boundaries changes
- Colorado Military maps
- Colorado Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Colorado
- Bird’s eye views of Colorado cities and towns
Historical Maps of Colorado are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Colorado Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Colorado Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Colorado maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
Colorado Map Collections
The Western History and Genealogy Department at the Denver Public Library has an extensive collection of over 2,000 Colorado maps, which includes explorations, surveys, railroad maps, trails, mining expeditions, and land grants.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Colorado
This Historical Colorado Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Colorado were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some Colorado maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Colorado researcher.
Map of Colorado County Formations 1877-1988
This Interactive Map of Colorado Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Colorado territory in 1877 to 1988.
Colorado County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Colorado D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2019 county road maps free online. These Colorado road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Colorado Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Colorado (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Colorado Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Colorado Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Colorado (old-maps.com)
- Colorado Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Colorado State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Colorado (raremaps.com)
- Colorado Map Books (amazon.com)