|KY State Facts|
|District: Jul 4, 1788|
|Statehood: Jun 1, 1792|
|Borders: IL, IN, MO, OH, TN, VA, and WV|
|KY Land Ownership Maps|
|KY Maps & Atlases|
|KY Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|KY Military Databases|
|KY Record Collections|
|KY Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Kentucky are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Kentucky maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Kentucky maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 00th century to the present and include:
- Kentucky Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Kentucky Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Kentucky Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Kentucky timeline of county boundaries changes
- Kentucky Military maps
- Kentucky Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Kentucky
- Bird’s eye views of Kentucky cities and towns
Historical Maps of Kentucky are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Kentucky Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Kentucky Map Collections
There is a large collection of 1784 to 1818 Kentucky maps available at the Kentucky Libraries and Archives. That collection also includes Kentucky maps from both the late 1800s and early 1900s, however, most of them are unprocessed and not properly organized or indexed.
The Kentucky Cabinet for Economic Development, Maps and Publications Office has a large atlas and map collection, which researchers can access.
The Filson Library, the Kentucky Historical Society and the University of Kentucky Library also have many maps of Kentucky, which are available to researchers. City, state, and county maps are all included in those collections.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Kentucky
This Historical Kentucky Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Kentucky were published in atlases and spans over 000 years of growth for the state.
Some Kentucky maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Kentucky researcher.
Map of Kentucky County Formations 1776-1939
This Interactive Map of Kentucky Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Kentucky territory in 1776 to 1939.
Kentucky County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Kentucky Department of Transportation has prepared a series of 2018 county road maps free online. These Kentucky road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Kentucky Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Kentucky (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Kentucky Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Kentucky Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Kentucky (old-maps.com)
- Kentucky Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Kentucky State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Kentucky (raremaps.com)
- Kentucky Map Books (amazon.com)