|SD State Facts
|Territory: Mar 2, 1861
|Statehood: Nov 2, 1889
|Borders: IA, MN, NE, ND, WY, MT
|SD Land Ownership Maps
|SD Maps & Atlases
|SD Birth, Marriage & Deaths
|SD Military Databases
|SD Record Collections
|SD Historical Newspapers
|Create a Free Family Tree
Maps of South Dakota are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old South Dakota maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of South Dakota maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- South Dakota Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- South Dakota Road, Highway and railroad maps
- South Dakota Maps showing the state’s geological features
- South Dakota timeline of county boundaries changes
- South Dakota Military maps
- South Dakota Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of South Dakota
- Bird’s eye views of South Dakota cities and towns
Historical Maps of South Dakota are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. South Dakota Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
South Dakota Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old South Dakota maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names.
The South Dakota Department of Transportation provides detailed county maps. These maps contain more detailed information about roads and boundaries, rural communities, churches, and cemeteries.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of South Dakota
This Historical South Dakota Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of South Dakota were published in atlases and spans over 200 years of growth for the state.
Some South Dakota maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the South Dakota researcher.
Map of South Dakota County Formations 1812-1979
This Interactive Map of South Dakota Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the South Dakota territory in 1812 to 1979.
powered by Advanced iFrame. Get the Pro version on CodeCanyon.
South Dakota County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The South Dakota D.O.T. Highway Department does not have South Dakota County Maps available at this time.
External South Dakota Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of South Dakota (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- South Dakota Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress South Dakota Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of South Dakota (old-maps.com)
- South Dakota Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical South Dakota State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of South Dakota (raremaps.com)
- South Dakota Map Books (amazon.com)