|WV State Facts|
|Statehood: June 20, 1863|
|Borders: KY, MD, OH, PA, VA|
|WV Land Ownership Maps|
|WV Maps & Atlases|
|WV Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|WV Military Databases|
|WV Record Collections|
|WV Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of West Virginia are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old West Virginia maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of West Virginia maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 17th century to the present and include:
- West Virginia Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- West Virginia Road, Highway and railroad maps
- West Virginia Maps showing the state’s geological features
- West Virginia timeline of county boundaries changes
- West Virginia Military maps
- West Virginia Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of West Virginia
- Bird’s eye views of West Virginia cities and towns
Luckily, many such maps exist, and they often show useful information, such as cemetery locations. The FHL and the West Virginia and Regional History Collection each have many landownership maps from the 1800s, as well as other West Virginia maps on file. See Maps of Virginia For Maps earlier than 1863.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of West Virginia
This Historical West Virginia Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of West Virginia were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some West Virginia maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the West Virginia researcher.
It’s important to remember that West Virginia was once part of Virginia. So, viewing early Virginia maps is the best way to track the movements of early West Virginia pioneers and frontier families.
Mitchell’s 1870 State Map of West Virginia and Virginia
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of West Virginia and Virginia
Mitchell’s 1890 State Maps of Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and West Virginia
Map of West Virginia County Formations 1863-1995
This Interactive Map of West Virginia Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the West Virginia territory in 1863 to 1995.
West Virginia County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The West Virginia Department of Transportation has prepared a series of county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External West Virginia Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of West Virginia (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- West Virginia Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress West Virginia Map Collections (loc.gov)
- West Virginia Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical West Virginia State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of West Virginia (geographicus.com)
- Antique Maps of West Virginia (raremaps.com)
- West Virginia Map Books (amazon.com)