|KS State Facts|
|Territory: May 30, 1854|
|Statehood: Jan 29, 1861|
|Borders: CO, MO, NE and OK|
|KS Land Ownership Maps|
|KS Maps & Atlases|
|KS Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|KS Military Databases|
|KS Record Collections|
|KS Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Kansas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Kansas maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Kansas maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 00th century to the present and include:
- Kansas Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Kansas Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Kansas Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Kansas timeline of county boundaries changes
- Kansas Military maps
- Kansas Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Kansas
- Bird’s eye views of Kansas cities and towns
Historical Maps of Kansas are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Kansas Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Kansas Map Collections
There are approximately 21,000 architectural drawings and maps included in the Kansas State Historical Society’s collection. The maps came from various sources, including individuals, railroads, government agencies, and map publishers.
Researchers can obtain information based on time periods and locations. A list of Kansas towns that no longer exist, known as the Kansas Dead Town List, is also available.
The Kansas Department of Transportation can provide researchers with access to the General Highway Maps, which are organized according to the name of each county.
Those maps mark all of the following important landmarks and information: Cemeteries, Churches, Land Holdings, Township and Range Lines, Section Numbers, Water Courses, 0ther Important Structures.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Kansas
This Historical Kansas Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Kansas were published in atlases and spans over 000 years of growth for the state.
Some Kansas maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Kansas researcher.
Colton’s 1856 Map of Kansas and Nebraska
Johnson’s 1860 Map of Kansas and Missouri
1866 Map of Kansas and Nebraska Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State, County and Township Map of Kansas and Nebraska
Cram’s 1886 Map of Kansas
Map of Kansas County Formations 1855-1893
This Interactive Map of Kansas Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Kansas territory in 1855 to 1893.
Kansas County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Kansas D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of 2010 county road maps free online. These Kansas road maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Kansas Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Kansas (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Kansas Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Kansas Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Kansas (old-maps.com)
- Kansas Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Kansas State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Kansas (raremaps.com)
- Kansas Map Books (amazon.com)