|ND State Facts|
|Territory: Mar 2, 1861|
|Statehood: Nov 2, 1889|
|Borders: MN, MT, SD and Can|
|ND Land Ownership Maps|
|ND Maps & Atlases|
|ND Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|ND Military Databases|
|ND Record Collections|
|ND Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of North Dakota are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old North Dakota maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of North Dakota maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 19th century to the present and include:
- North Dakota Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- North Dakota Road, Highway and railroad maps
- North Dakota Maps showing the state’s geological features
- North Dakota timeline of county boundaries changes
- North Dakota Military maps
- North Dakota Maps of specific towns, counties and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of North Dakota
- Bird’s eye views of North Dakota cities and towns
An index to Cartographic Records of North Dakota is available at the State Archives and Historical Research Library. The Bureau of Indian Affairs holds the original records.
Andreas’ Historical Atlas of Dakota and other atlases and plat books from 1884 can be found in several collections across the state of North Dakota, including at the State Archives.
A search of http://www.nd.gov/ may reveal lists of atlases and county plat books that are available. County plat books and atlases from 1884, including Andreas’ Historical Atlas of Dakota, are housed at the archives as well as other repositories with North Dakota collections. A list of North Dakota county plat books and atlases is available.
Historical Maps of North Dakota are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. North Dakota Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of North Dakota
This Historical North Dakota Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of North Dakota were published in atlases and spans over 150 years of growth for the state.
Some North Dakota maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the North Dakota researcher.
1866 Map of North and South Dakota Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Dakota Territory
Cram’s 1893 State Map of North Dakota
Map of North Dakota County Formations 1812-1916
This Interactive Map of North Dakota Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the North Dakota territory in 1812 to 1916.
North Dakota County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The North Dakota D.O.T. Highway Department has prepared a series of city and county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
County Road Maps
City Road Maps
External North Dakota Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of North Dakota (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- North Dakota Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress North Dakota Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of North Dakota (old-maps.com)
- North Dakota Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical North Dakota State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of North Dakota (raremaps.com)
- North Dakota Map Books (amazon.com)