|MS State Facts|
|Territory: Apr 7, 1798|
|Statehood: Dec 10, 1817|
|Borders: AL, TN, AR, LA|
|MS Land Ownership Maps|
|MS Maps & Atlases|
|MS Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|MS Military Databases|
|MS Record Collections|
|MS Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Mississippi are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Mississippi maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Mississippi maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 18th century to the present and include:
- Mississippi Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Mississippi Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Mississippi Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Mississippi Nautical charts
- Mississippi timeline of county boundaries changes
- Mississippi Military maps
- Mississippi Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Territorial era maps of Mississippi
- Bird’s eye views of Mississippi cities and towns
Historical Maps of Mississippi are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Mississippi Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
The Mississippi Department of Archives and History is home to several historical maps of Mississippi. They are filed according to year. Some date back as far as 1500, while others are more current. Some are from as late as 1984.
This collection includes Sanborn fire insurance maps, as well as maps from the Mississippi State Highway Department, U.S. Geological Survey, and other government agencies.
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has created several maps of county highways. They are helpful for those who are trying to find cemeteries within Mississippi.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Mississippi
This Historical Mississippi Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Mississippi were published in atlases and spans over 200 years of growth for the state.
Some Mississippi maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Mississippi researcher.
Jeffery’s 1776 Map of the Course of the Mississippi River from the Balise to Fort Chartres
1804 Atlas Map of the Mississippi Territory
1812 Atlas Map of the Mississippi Territory
Carey’s 1814 Atlas Map of Mississippi Territory
Carey’s 1818 Map of the Alabama and Mississippi Territories
Carey’s 1822 Geographical, Historical and Statistical State Map of Mississippi
Finley’s 1827 State Map of Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana
Tanner’s 1836 State Map of Mississippi
Morse’s 1845 State Map of Mississippi
Colton’s 1856 State Map of Mississippi
1866 State Map of Mississippi Public Survey Sketches by the Department of Interior Land Office
Mitchell’s 1880 State and County Map of Mississippi, Arkansas and Louisiana
Map of Mississippi County Formations 1785-1918
This Interactive Map of Mississippi Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Mississippi territory in 1785 to 1918.
Mississippi County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Mississippi Department of Transportation has prepared a series of county road maps. These maps contain more detailed information about man-made features than the geological survey maps.
External Mississippi Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Mississippi (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Mississippi Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Mississippi Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Mississippi (old-maps.com)
- Mississippi Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Mississippi State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Mississippi (raremaps.com)
- Mississippi Map Books (amazon.com)