|ME State Facts|
|Statehood: Mar 15, 1820|
|Borders: NH and Can|
|ME Land Ownership Maps|
|ME Maps & Atlases|
|ME Birth, Marriage & Deaths|
|ME Military Databases|
|ME Record Collections|
|ME Historical Newspapers|
|Create a Free Family Tree|
Maps of Maine are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Old Maine maps are effective sources of geographical information and useful for historical, genealogical and territorial research.
Our collection of Maine maps includes many different historic and modern types of maps. The maps date from the 18th century to the present and include:
- Maine Township maps, including maps showing the progress of the original government surveys
- Maine Road, Highway and railroad maps
- Maine Maps showing the state’s geological features
- Maine Nautical charts
- Maine timeline of county boundaries changes
- Maine Military maps
- Maine Maps of specific towns, counties, islands, harbors, and bodies of water
- Colonial era maps of Maine
- Bird’s eye views of Maine cities and towns
Historical Maps of Maine are a great resource to help learn about a place at a particular point in time. Maine Maps are vital historical evidence but must be interpreted cautiously and carefully.
Maine Maps can be very useful in conducting research, especially in light of the now extinct communities. Also, because old Maine maps were usually commissioned by the county seat, they often display information about the county, including town names, location of residences and names of owners..
Maine State Archives has a computerized index of its fine map collection for Maine after statehood, but it is the Massachusetts State Archives that holds the important lotting maps for the pre-statehood development of Maine.
Old Historical Atlas Maps of Maine
This Historical Maine Map Collection are from original copies. Most historical maps of Maine were published in atlases and spans over 300 years of growth for the state.
Some Maine maps years have cities, railroads, P.O. locations, township outlines, and other features useful to the Maine researcher.
Map of Maine County Formations 1713-1913
This Interactive Map of Maine Counties show the historical boundaries, names, organization, and attachments of every county, extinct county and unsuccessful county proposal from the creation of the Maine territory in 1713 to 1913.
Maine County Maps of Road and Highway’s
The Maine D.O.T. Highway Department does not have Maine County Maps available at this time.
External Maine Map Resources
- Old Historical Maps of Maine (alabamamaps.ua.edu)
- Maine Maps, Atlases & Gazetteers (ancestry.com)
- U.S., Indexed County Land Ownership Maps, 1860-1918 (ancestry.com)
- Library of Congress Maine Map Collections (loc.gov)
- Old Maps of Maine (old-maps.com)
- Maine Antique Maps and Historical Atlases (historicmapworks.com)
- Historical Maine State Maps (mapsofthepast.com)
- Antique Maps of Maine (raremaps.com)
- Maine Map Books (amazon.com)